Hi! I’m L Ravichander. Thanks for stopping by.
A rank holding economics graduate from Osmania University and a law degree from Chennai. Have been a practising lawyer for over four decades and a part-time journalist over three decades. Have a passion for debates, Hindi films, classical music and a bit of quizzing. Still find time for some gardening, reading and cuisines.
Date of Birth … 22nd March, 1955
Educational Qualifications … Graduate in Arts from Osmania University in 1975 with Economics-I, Economics – II and Public Administration, Stood II in the University in B.A. Bachelor of Law from Madras University 1978. Have a Diploma in Patent Laws from NALSAR with 79%.
Enrolled as Advocate … October, 1978
Experience as a lawyer:
• Designated Senior Counsel.
• Was Special Government Pleader in the High Court of Andhra Pradesh assisting Advocate General of Andhra Pradesh.
• Also, Additional Standing Counsel for the Union of India in the High Court of A.P for three consecutive terms dealing with writ petitions against the Central Government.
• Dealing with preparation of various Statutes, Acts for the state during the tenure as Special Government Pleader.
• As Government Pleader also dealing specially with habeas corpus writ petitions involving fundamental rights of citizens.
• Have helped the advocate General in drafting of enactments.
• Have appeared on the original side for the suits of the Tirumala Tirupathi Devastanam the National Institute of Rural Development and Hyderabad Public School.
• Appeared in all cases of Tirumala Tirupathi Devastanam Educational Institutions in the High Court.
• Have appeared for Indian Railways Construction Corporation.
• Standing Counsel for the National Institute for Rural Development, Hyderabad Public School
• Have appeared in a number of important writ petitions challenging policies.
• Appeared on behalf of the Congress Party in the writ petition challenging the allotment of land for Gandhi Bhavan.
• Have been the Legal Reporter of UNI form 1978-1980
• Was Legal correspondent of Indian Express for over two years.
• Was the Legal Correspondent of the Deccan Chronicle from 1986 until I joined the Times of India.
• Authored a regular column in the Deccan Chronicle on “judgments of the week” and another “legal queries.”
• Have been associated with the Times of India ever since it started publication in Hyderabad.
• Was In charge of a regular advertisement feature and advertorial features for the Hindu.
• Presented a regular One Page Feature entitled Interface for the State government for in the Hindu for over two and half years.
• Have been a regular contributor on cinema for the Indian Express and the Deccan Chronicle when I was the Legal correspondent.
• Have contributed to AndhraCafe.com and wrote columns for the Hyderabad tabloid Deccan Post.
• Presently the Legal correspondent of the Times of India, the Hans India and film critic for the Hans India.
• Was on the editorial board of the commemorative issue on the History of the High court of A.P. released by the President of India.
Extra Curricular Activities:
• Have had very successful and long stint as a debater and participant in various Literary and Cultural activities during my student life.
• Represented Nizam College, Hyderabad and Madras Law College in debates and won all the prestigious awards
• Won I prize at All India Poetry at BITS Pilani.
• Recipient of several “Best Speaker” awards at Youth Festivals, Elocution Contests and Debates.
• Participated in various seminars both as a student and as a lawyer.
• Members of Judges panel for several debates at Hyderabad.
• Quiz Master for many Quiz competitions, including the one conducted by British Council at Hyderabad
• Compeered many Literary, Cultural and Sports events.
• In the absence of a Students Union, conducted most literary and cultural events for colleges.
• Former President of the Young Orators Club.
• Former President of the Benjamin Franklin Memorial Club.
• Have been invited by various colleges to be on the panel of judges like University College of Women, St Francis College, Nizam College in Hyderabad and Stella Maris, Madras.
• Have been called upon to address the Rotary Club, the Leo Club etc.
• Member of the International Group on visit to U S A as part of Exchange Programme of Rotary Club.
• Entered the Limca Book of World Records for heading the longest ever debating event for seven days beating the earlier record of the British Parliament during the Second World War. Another record for speaking non-stop for 24 hrs responding to issue and question raised by the public.
• Recently did an exclusive debate quiz and essay competition for school children on the Indian epics .
• Have been on a number of talk shows and debates on television and AIR.
• Have delivered guest lectures at various institutions including the Hyderabad Central University
• Countries visited: U.S.A., U.K. and Dubai.